The Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce has announced the selection of Suzanne Schultz as its 2021 ATHENA Award recipient. The annual ATHENA Award honors individuals who strive toward the highest levels of accomplishment, excel in their chosen business or profession, have demonstrated support for the advancement of business and professional women, have devoted time and energy to their community, and have actively mentored others.
The ATHENA Award will be presented at the annual ATHENA Awards Luncheon on Nov. 4, 11:30 a.m., at the Stockton Golf and Country Club. Tickets for this high-profile event are $50 and are available by visiting http://stocktonchamber.org/athena-awards/.
Suzanne Schultz has been a valued and dedicated advocate and public servant for underserved populations throughout San Joaquin County. A longtime advocate, her generosity of spirit and willingness to stretch beyond the traditional role of a domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault, human trafficking Advocate has empowered countless women and girls with essential tools necessary to rebuild their lives. This exemplifies Schultz’s core belief that hope, and kindness can be life-changing and the key to our success both as a community and as a world.
Her dedication to community service has continued to benefit the many women and girls who come to the San Joaquin County Family Justice Center each day seeking support, reassurance, and the knowledge that they are not alone. Schultz works to better these individuals’ lives and the lives of their children, once again underscoring her foundational belief in empowerment and education.
Whether she is promoting the mission of SJC Family Justice Center, Children’s Home of Stockton, Child Abuse Prevention Council, Women’s Center-YFS, San Joaquin County Human Trafficking Task Force, and many others, Schultz is a mentor, inspiration, and role model for women and girls, and for the community. Professional achievements include:
• 2004 - present: Chair of the San Joaquin County Domestic Violence Task Force
• Co-creator and presenter of the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Dating Violence Presentations: “The Choice Is Your” and “Love You to Death”
• VP of the San Joaquin County Human Trafficking Task Force and Chair, Education and Outreach Workgroup
• Co-creator and presenter of the SJC Human Trafficking Task Force’s Presentation: “Is Your Soul for Sale?”
• Presenter of the senior fraud prevention program “Communities Against Senior Exploitation” (CASE). National trainer of CASE for the California District Attorneys Association
• Project Director for the opening of the San Joaquin County Family Justice Center. Currently serving as the Program Manager.
Schultz brings her courageous leadership to organizations who also benefit from her generosity and dedication. Since 1985, she has demonstrated what it takes to make a stronger community by being involved, compassionate and mentoring those around her.
A couple notable achievements at the community level include:
• 2014 - Present: Chair, HT Education and Outreach Workgroup. Estimated at 400+ live presentations, reaching approximately 15,000 people. Online views 2800+. Most rewarding presentation - Family Ties because as a result, HT Survivors engaged in FJC services during and after completing Family Ties.
• 2020 - Present: Member of the California Family Justice Center Network. Assisted in securing $10 million in funding for California Family Justice Centers from the state legislature.
Schultz embodies the qualities of an ATHENA, said Chamber officials. Every day she demonstrates her commitment and passion for her profession, and she is an integral part of the community providing support and compassion to everyone she meets, and through her mentorship to future leaders.
Founded on Feb. 21, 1901, the Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce speaks for thousands of local businesspeople. For 120 years, the Chamber has been the authoritative voice in all business matters throughout the Central Valley.