By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Carjacking Suspect Shot, Murder Suspect Booked
Placeholder Image
A San Joaquin County sheriff's deputy sustained injuries when he fell from a truck after fatally shooting a suspect in a carjacking.

The deputy shot the suspect while he was driving a work vehicle in the intermodal facility of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railway in Collegeville, near Kaiser and Mariposa roads, on Tuesday, Oct. 18.

According to the sheriff's department the incident began when two suspects were reportedly trying to break into some property on South Kaiser Road. Deputies responded and soon were in a foot pursuit with the suspects. A woman was captured but the man fled on to the intermodal property and pulled a railway worker from his utility truck, with the deputy then grabbing on to the rack on top of the vehicle, clinging to the side of the truck, as the suspect tried to flee the scene. The deputy fired a round, striking the suspect in the upper body area. He was pronounced dead at the scene and the woman was booked at San Joaquin County Jail.

The officer was taken to the hospital for observation for striking his head on the pavement when he fell off the vehicle.

Meanwhile, in another case in the rural area outside Escalon, a 25-year-old man was arrested in connection with the death of Dalene Carlson, 23, formerly of Idaho. She was last seen outside a Stockton pub in August and her remains were found in a cornfield outside Escalon on Oct. 15.

Authorities reported the arrest of Jason Gilley on Friday, Oct. 21 and charged him with first-degree murder, kidnapping, rape and discharge of a firearm. He appeared in court Monday but did not enter a plea. Another court appearance is slated next week. He is being held in San Joaquin County Jail without bail.

He was originally arrested in mid-August, about a week after Carlson's disappearance but was released because there was no body discovered at that time. The recovery of Carlson's remains in the Escalon cornfield allowed police to re-arrest Gilley in the case.