By VINCE REMBULAT
209 staff reporter
Perhaps it takes someone from the outside to help you truly appreciate what’s right there in your backyard.
The Lodi wine region just earned accolades from an East Coast publication, ‘Wine Enthusiast.’
The magazine dedicated to wine, spirit, food and travel just named Lodi as the “Wine Region of the Year.”
The recent announcement was cause for celebration by the locals.
“Being named Wine Region of the Year is exciting for Lodi as it recognizes the historic and ongoing commitment by our winegrowers, winemakers, and Lodi wine region fans to grow, make, promote and enjoy amazing world-class wines in our region,” Camron King, who is the executive director of the Lodi Winegrape Commission, said in a Nov. 4 press release.
Other nominees for the 2015 award included Marlborough (New Zealand), Russian River Valley, Sicily and Walla Walla (Washington).
Wine country in this part of the 209 has grown over the years. So much so that one wine aficionado put it this way: “Lodi (wine region) is what Napa Valley used to be about 10 or 20 years ago.”
The price for tasting is still modest – in some cases, complimentary (i.e. free) – with over 85 boutique wineries in which to chose.
As for varieties, the Lodi region offers a diverse selection, including the long renowned high-quality Zinfandel to award-winning Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Sirah and Chardonnay.
But expect to be surprised by other exciting varietals – Tempranillo, Tievoli, Malbec, Barbera, to name a few.
It’s impossible to visit the many wineries and tasting rooms in the area. But if you’re looking to make that one stop, try the Lodi Wine & Visitor Center at 2545 W. Turner Rd., open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
It’s also the first stop for those looking to explore this wine region featuring 110,000 acres of vineyards while boasting over 750 growers. Some of these highly coveted grapes are shipped off to Napa, Sonoma, and along the Central Valley.
The Visitor Center – it’s next door to the picturesque Wine & Roses Hotel, Restaurant and Spa – not only provides an introduction to the wines of the Lodi Appellations.
Cost is $7 per tasting.
Start you downtown wine stroll at Jeremy Wine Company is located a stone’s throw from the historic arch at 6 W. Pine St. inside a building that dates back to the early 1900s.
From there, check out these other places:
· Cellardoor – This place with gourmet appetizers and front patio seating in the heart of downtown features selections from Michael David Winery, Van Ruiten Winery, Bokisch Vineyards, Onus Wines, LVVR and Onesta Wines.
· Dancing Fox – An artisan bakery and restaurant offers a variety of award-winning wines.
· Estate Crush – A custom crush winery with 45 brands and over 85 wines featured in the tasting room. This place also has wine-by-the-glass menu consisting of 16 wines at a time on a monthly rotating basis.
· H-G Vineyards – The tasting room offers wines from select regions of California.
· Jesse’s Grove at the Olde Ice House – The wines here come from one of the oldest wineries in Lodi.
· Lodi Wine Cellars – Award-winning wines from Benson Ferry Vineyards, Vicarmont Vineyards and Winery, and Heritage Oak Vineyards are offered under a comfortable tasting room setting.
· One Way Winery – A small boutique winery out of Acampo can be found inside the Visitors Center on School Street.
· Riaza – Sample Spanish varietal wines in a setting that’s a perfect place for exploring another side of this wine region.
· Toasted Toad – A small family winery specializing in handcrafted small lot common and unique varieties on East Elm Street.
· Vinedos Aurora at Pamploma Tapas – This place combines Vinedos Aurora wines and tapas for a unique tasting experience.
· Weibel Family – If you’re looking for a glass of bubbly, this tasting room features sparkling wines, California Champagnes and other wines.
· Wine Social – Two wineries are featured here, Sorelle and Six Hands, is this hip place to unwind after a long day of work or play.
Wineries and vineyards
Here’s a list of places along the appellation, from A to Z:
· Abundance Vineyards, 1150 W. Turner Rd., Lodi, Ph. 209.334.0274 / www.abundancevineyards.com.
· Acquiesce Winery & Vineyards, 22353 N. Tretheway Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.333.6102 / www.whitewinewinery.com.
· Barsetti Vineyards, 400 4th St., Suite 150, Galt. Ph. 209.744.6062 / www.barsettivineyards.com.
· Berghold Vineyards, 17343 N. Cherry Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.744.6062 / www.bergholdvineyards.com.
· Bokisch Vineyards, 18921 Atkins Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.334.4338 / www.bokischvineyards.com.
· Borra Vineyards, 1301 E. Armstrong Rd., Lodi, Ph. 209.368.2446 / www.borravineyards.com.
· Clements Ridge, 23225 E. State Hwy 88, Clements. Ph. 209.759.3850 / www.clementsridge.com.
· Cosumnes River Farm, 28305 N. Thornton Rd., Thornton. Ph. 209.334.5544 / www.district11wines.com.
· d’Arts Wines, 13299 N. Curry Ave., Lodi. Ph. 209.334.9946 / www.dartwines.com.
· Dancing Coyote Wines, 3125 E. Orange St., Acampo. Ph. 339.9780 / www.dancingcoyotewines.com.
· Durst Winery, 10173 E. Acampo Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.601.1413 / www.durstwinery.com.
· Fields Family Wines, 3803 E. Woodbridge Rd., Acampo, Ph. 209.896.6012 / www.fieldsfamilywines.com.
· Grace Vineyards, 28001 N. Nichol Rd., Galt. Ph. 916.447.3774 / www.gracevineyards.com.
· Grady Family Vineyards, Woodbridge Uncorked, 18911 Lower Sac Rd., Woodbridge, www.gradywine.com.
· Harmony Wynelands, 9291 E. Harney Lane, Lodi. Ph. 209.369.4184 / www.harmonywynelands.com.
· Harney Lane Winery, 9010 E. Harney Lane, Lodi. Ph. 209.369.4184 / www.harneylane.com.
· Heritage Oak Winery, 10112 E. Woodbridge Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.986.2763 / www.heritageoakwinery.com.
· Housley’s Oak Winery, 22211 N. Lower Sac Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.334.3482 / www.centuryoakwinery.com.
· Jessie’s Grove Winery, 1973 W. Turner Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.368.0880 / www.jessiesgrovewinery.com.
· Kidder Family Winery, 17266 Hillside Dr., Lodi, Ph. 209.727.0728 / www.kidderwines.com.
· Klinker Brick Winery, 15887 N. Alpine Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.333.1845, ext. 105 / www.klinkerbrickwinery,com.
· Lange Twins Winery & Vineyards, 1525 E. Jahant Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209334.9780 / www.langetwins.com.
· Lodi Vitners, 3750 E. Woodbridge Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.368.2019 / www.lodivitners.com.
· The Lucas Winery, 18196 N. Davis Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.368.2019 / www.lucaswinery.com.
· M2 Wines, 2900 E. Peltier Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.339.1071 / www.m2wines.com.
· Macchia, 7099 E. Peltier Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.333.2600 / www.macchiawines.com.
· Maley Bros., Woodbridge Uncorked, 18911 Lower Sac. Rd, Woodbridge, www.woodbridgeuncorked.com.
· McCay Cellars, 1370 E. Turner Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.368.WINE / www.mccaycellars.com.
· McConnell Estates, 10686 W. Stockton Blvd., Elk Grove. Ph. 916.685.5368 / www.mcconnellestates.com.
· Mettler Family Vineyards, 7889 E. Harney Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.369.3045 / www.mettlerwine.com.
· Michael David Winery, 4580 W. Hwy 12, Lodi. Ph. 209.368.7384 / www.michaeldavidwinery.com.
· Oak Farm Vineyards, 23627 N. DeVries Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.365.6565 / www.oakfarmvineyards.com.
· Oak Ridge Winery, 6100 E. Hwy 12, Lodi. Ph. 209.369.5896 / www.oakridgewinery.com.
· Omega Cellars, 13731 N. Hwy 88, Lodi. Ph. 209.367.1910 / www.omega-cellars.com.
· Peirano Estate Vineyards, 21831 N. Hwy 99, Acampo. Ph. 209.369.9463 / www.periano.com.
· Peltier Station, 22150 N. Kenneflick Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.367.4881 / www.peltierstation.com.
· Pondl Winery, 665 W. Turner Rd,, Lodi. Ph. 209.367.3672 / www.pondlwinery.com.
· Ripken Vineyards & Winery, 2472 W. Sargent Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.367.9463 / www.ripkenwine.com.
· Scotto Family Cellars, 220 S. Cluff Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.333.7239 / www.scottofamilywines.com.
· Sorelle Winery, 9599 N. Hwy 88, Stockton. Ph. 209.931.4350 / www.sorellewinery.com.
· Spenker Winery, 17303 N. DeVries Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.367.0467 / www.spenkerwinery.com.
· St. Amant Winery, 1 Winemaster Way, Lodi. Ph. 209.367.0646 / www.stamantwine.com.
· St. Jorge Winery, 22769 N. Bender Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.365.0202 / www.stjorgewinery.com.
· Stama Winery, 12470 Lockeford Rd., Lockeford. Ph. 209.727.3314 / www.stamawinery.com.
· Stonum Vineyards & Winery, 16388 N. Alpine Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.334.3009 / www.stonumwinery.com.
· Twisted Barrel Winery, 1376 E. Turner Rd. Suite D, Lodi. Ph. 209.334.2554 / www.twistedbarrel.net.
· Upstream Wines, 17036 N. Locust Tree Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.570.3857 / www.upstreamwines.com.
· Van Ruiten Family Winery, 340 W. Hwy 12, Lodi. Ph. 209.334.5722 / www.vrwinery.com.
· Viaggio Estate & Winery, 100 E. Taddei Rd., Acampo. Ph. 368.1378 / www.viaggiowinery.com.
· Vicarmont Vineyards & Winery, 16475 N. Locust Tree Rd., Lodi. Ph. 209.390.1919 / www.vicarmont.com.
· Woodbridge by Mondavi, 5950 E. Woodbridge Rd., Acampo. Ph. 209.365.8139 / www.woodbridgewines.com.