By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Seeking Report Requirements For Multi-Day Fishing Trip
California Outdoors 11-25-20
Lobster report cards are required to be filled out for each calendar day that you fish. CDFW Photo By Derek Stein

Filling Out Lobster Report Cards

Question: I have a question about filling out lobster report cards. When I’m hoop netting throughout the night, do I start a new card entry at midnight? Or is a day’s entry from 6 a.m. to 6 a.m. the following day? Here’s a scenario: Let’s say I’m fishing the islands and I’m in possession of a valid Declaration of Multi-Day Fishing Permit. I set my nets around 7 p.m. and catch my limit of lobsters by 11:30 p.m. Do I start a new entry on my Lobster Report Card at 12:01 a.m.? By law, am I allowed to resume lobster fishing after midnight, as it is a new day? (Rick)

Answer: Lobster report cards are required to be filled out for each calendar day that you fish. The month, day, location and gear code must be filled out prior to fishing. Once you are done fishing for the day or move to another location, you must record the number of lobster kept. The legal requirements for filling out lobster report cards can be found in California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 29.91.

When on a multi-day trip with a valid Declaration of Multi-Day Fishing Permit, please make sure you comply with all of the requirements of the Multi-Day Fishing Permit. The legal requirements can be found in California Code of Regulations, Title 14, section 27.15.

A Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip may not be filed for a trip unless the trip is continuous and extends for a period of 12 hours or more on both the first and last day of the trip. No berthing or docking is permitted within five miles of the mainland shore during multi-day trips.

In the scenario you describe, you would have to leave port no later than noon on the first day when you finished fishing at 11:30 p.m. and could not return to port until noon the following day since you fished after midnight.


Changes to lottery system for waterfowl hunting?

Question: In past years, the night before lotteries have generally allowed hunters (with a few refuge exceptions) to add additional hunters to their lottery entry. Lottery refuge hunters went up and down the valley entering their names as well as their hunting partners’ names and GoID. This year, with COVID-19 limitations, hunters are limited to entering lotteries at one refuge per person. Will applicants be allowed to add an additional hunter to their ticket? What if the other hunter is at a separate check station entering his/her partner’s GoID? (Aaron)

Answer: For most wildlife areas and refuges this season, all hunters applying for the lotteries the night before shoot days have to be present. Therefore, you can no longer add your buddies’ names and hunting license numbers to your lottery application unless they are also present at the check station during the lottery. You can find answers to this and other questions on our COVID-19 wildlife area operational changes webpage.


Casting without a hook

Question: I am new to conventional reels. Would I get a citation for practicing casting at a local lake if I don’t have a license but the hook is removed? (Anonymous)

Answer: Yes, it is legal and no, you don’t need a license. Without a hook attached to your artificial lure or fly, you have no method of take. This is a common practice among fishing instructors, who have their students practice this way before trying the real thing. Practicing casting without a fly or a hook makes it easier to untangle the fishing line from the tree branch you’ll inevitably snag while you are learning. Once you learn to practice casting safely, we encourage you to get a fishing license and try the real thing!


Importing “wolf fish”

Question: I am the manager of a fish importing business in Miami. I would like to import Hoplias malabaricus (wolf fish) into California. Are there any restrictions? (Ivan)

Answer: Yes, there are restrictions. Hoplias malabaricus (commonly known as wolf fish, tiger fish, guabine or trahira) are predatory Central and South American freshwater ray finned fish that are illegal to import, transport or possess, except under permit issued by the department per California Code of Regulations, Title 14, section 671. They belong to the order Characiformes (to which piranhas, pacu, and tetras also belong), and family Erythrinidae. These fish are classified as “detrimental” because they pose a threat to native wildlife, the agriculture interests of the state, or to public health or safety.


If you have a question you would like to see answered in the California Outdoors Q and A column, email it to