By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Weekend Yields Chase, Trio Of Arrests
Placeholder Image
A high speed pursuit and an assault resulted in a number of arrests over the weekend in Escalon.

Early morning Saturday, Jan. 7, police were involved in a pursuit that ultimately ended with the arrest of Foryst Souza, 22, of Oakdale.

Officer Gustavo Flores originally attempted to make a traffic enforcement stop about 1:15 a.m. Saturday after he saw Souza run a stop sign at an estimated 50 miles per hour at the four-way intersection of Main and First streets. Souza did not yield to the officer, according to the police report, and lead him on a pursuit reaching speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour south on Santa Fe Road and into Riverbank. Once in Riverbank, the pursuit was terminated for safety reasons.

At about 3:40 a.m., the Escalon Police Department received notification from the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department that Souza had been located during a traffic stop in their jurisdiction. Souza and a 16-year-old female from Waterford were being detained pending the arrival of an Escalon officer. It was later determined that the juvenile was a passenger in the vehicle with Souza at the time of the pursuit. Escalon Police responded and took Souza into custody. When officers searched the vehicle Souza had been driving, they found a set of metal knuckles.

Souza was subsequently taken to the San Joaquin County Jail where he was booked for evading the police with disregard for public safety (a felony), possession of a prohibited weapon (a felony), and other misdemeanor charges. He was originally being held at the jail in lieu of $202,150 bail.

On Friday night, Jan. 6, just before 9 p.m., the Escalon Police Department received a 9-1-1 call from a subject asking for help at a location in the 2500 block of Jackson Avenue. Officers responded and found a victim who claimed to have been attacked by two subjects. The victim received serious injuries to his face and head and was transported by ambulance to a hospital.

Officers Anthony Hardgraves and Officer K.J. Vandagriff investigated the incident and were able to determine that the victim, a 29-year-old man from Escalon, had been attacked by Richard Johnson, 35, of Escalon and Sammie Johnson, 19, of Riverbank. The victim and one of the suspects had had several prior disputes, according to police. The victim was confronted and attacked by the suspects in front of a store and the fight moved from the parking lot and into the store when the victim tried to get to a phone to call for help. The police were called and the two suspects fled the scene.

The two suspects were eventually located at a residence in the 1600 block of Mitchell Avenue and were arrested for battery causing serious bodily injury (a felony). They were then taken to the San Joaquin County Jail where they were each being held in lieu of $50,000 bail.