By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Farmington News
Placeholder Image
On Thursday, June 21 at 6:30 p.m., in the Auditorium of the San Joaquin County Department of Public Health Services, 1601 East Hazelton Ave., Stockton, the Planning Commission will hold a public hearing.

The Planning Commission hearing for the General Plan Update to develop a recommendation to the Board of Supervisors on a Preferred Alternative for growth and development in San Joaquin County. The Commission will make recommendations for land use choices and/or policy options regarding:

• Growth and Development Adjacent to Cities

• Unincorporated Employment Growth and Commercial Development

• The Community of Farmington

• Provision of Infrastructure; and

• General Plan Land Use Designation Change Requests.

All persons interested in this matter are invited to be present at this meeting.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, you can contact Ray Hoo, San Joaquin County Community Development Department, 1810 East Hazelton Ave., Stockton, CA 95205. Phone: 209-468-3164.


From "Doc Alders, Farmington's Lone Eagle" A Reminiscence: In 1946, Pete Alders, sold out to Doc, leaving him the sole proprietor of the Alders Union 76 Station. Pete had a contractor license, plumbing license and electrician's license. He built forty homes in Bear Valley before he quit.

Pete then moved to Crescent City on the north coast near the Oregon border where he went into the commercial fishing business. Pete had also developed quite an interest in airplanes and spent his spare time at Crescent City building a plane. He had a second one nearly built when he decided to move back to Farmington where he finished it.

A drunk driver hit Pete as he rode his motorcycle. Small air-cooled engines were common to small planes and to motorcycles. Both of these offered dangerous excitement. Pete's fun ended when the automobile collided with him. His leg was broken-compound fracture. He spent the rest of his life with a gimpy leg. Wartime military service was precluded by this leg injury. His accomplishments were remarkable considering his handicap. After he retired from contracting, the injured leg became real troublesome. This was in the days before penicillin. He then was diagnosed with gaseous gangrene in it. It never did heal. Finally, he was disgusted and told the doctors to "Cut the damn thing off! - I'm tired of fooling with it." He spent his last years with one leg. He lived to be a few years short of ninety.


Please contact me if you have items for the Farmington News column. E-mail me at or phone 896-6697.